Tuesday 4 October 2011

DITA week 2: The Internet, html and the WWW

Hello bloggees! I have no idea if that is an actual term, but I have decided to use it anyway. If you have a better suggestion as to how I should address you, please comment below as I am still learning netiquette. As we all are, as it is ever developing. Maybe they should start a finishing school for the net...


I digress. So, to get back on topic: today's DITA lecture was about the Internet and the World Wide Web, with a focus on html in the lab. Please note, that while many people use 'the Internet' and 'the World Wide Web' as interchangeable terms, I will not be doing so. I will explain why below. I will then go on to explain what we did in the lab, including some examples, which I hope will be suitably snazzy.


Anyone who has studied a whirlwind history of information or computer science will know the origins on the Internet, and of the World Wide Web. However, I feel it would be beneficial to assume that my readers are new to the topic. So if you don't want to read about the history  and background then you can skip ahead to the html bit here.


The Internet dates back to the 1960s, where it was developed as a way of sharing information via a network of networks. According to ISOC, in August 1962 J.C.R. Licklider 'envisioned a globally interconnected set of computers through which everyone could quickly access data', his "Galactic Network" concept.1 He worked at DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) at the time, so the Internet actually had military origins. He was inspired by 'Project Lincoln', an early warning network to guard against Soviet nuclear bomb attack in the 1950s. The project eventually resulted in SAGE, Semi-Automatic Ground Environment, which included 'the world’s first long-distance network, which allowed the computers to transfer data'.2 I won't go into huge detail here because I appreciate that this blog will get very long (I could probably dedicate an entire blog to the history of the Internet!), but if you are interested the DARPA site is interesting and I have put a link in my references at the bottom of the blog. So, to cut a long story short, a networking project was launched, the concept of sending packets was dreamed up, an architectural description of a network of networks was put together in the 1970s by Kahn and Cerf, people started picking up on it, and it was deemed a beautiful thing.


The World Wide Web, by contrast, has 'only' been around since the 1990s (although Tim Berners-Lee started working on the idea in the 1980s). In his book, Weaving the Web, Berners-Lee describes his vision of the Web as 'a universal, all-encompassing space'.3 It was originally designed as a directory and method for information sharing at CERN. It was soon picked up by academics, and then spread until it was in common usage, as it is today.


To make it really clear I will borrow an analogy our lecturer shared with us. The Internet is the road, and the World Wide Web is like a car 'travelling' on it. There are other 'vehicles', the most common example being email.


1Leiner, B.M., Cerf, V.G., Clark, D.D., Kahn, R.E., Kleinrock, L., Lynch, D.C., Postel, J., Roberts, L.G., Wolff, S. A Brief History of the Internet. [online] Accessed 4 October 2011

2Waldrop, M. DARPA and the Internet Revolution. [online] Accessed 4 October 2011

3Berners-Lee, T. (1999) Weaving the Web : the origins and future of the World Wide Web. London: Orion Business, p. 5

1 comment:

  1. wow, I'm feeling inferior now since my blog posts don't have a Works Cited area... That's really awesome though, I like your examples and especially the Smiley Chair!

    ReplyDelete